Wednesday 15 October 2014

Day 1 Session 2 (Wednesday, 8 October 2014, 2 - 3.30pm)

Aims of and Rationale for CLIL
The first time I heard the acronym 'CLIL' was during the session with Ms. Katie, my home tutor for the English Teacher's Training Programme (ETTP) here in Politeknik Balik Pulau, Penang. It came very blurry to me as I haven't heard of it before. I wasn't sure what it meant either.

Coming back to the world of teaching after 8 years is really a huge task for me, since I left teaching profession way back in March 2006. Luckily, I have friends whom I just met who have willingly helped me throughout this course.

As for me, I find this topic very interesting because I've learned and seen things in a different perspective. For the past 8 years, I only did administrative tasks and didn't know anything about CLIL. As the session went on, I finally find out what CLIL is all about.
There are 4 C's in CLIL. They are: CONTENT (subject matter), COMMUNICATION (language), COGNITION (thinking) and CULTURE (awareness of else and 'otherness'). In plain words, CLIL provides students to a new and exciting learning experience, as the subject matter and language are taught together.

CONTENT
COMMUNICATION
COGNITION
CULTURE
There are two different models of CLIL, the 'soft CLIL' and the 'hard CLIL'. Soft CLIL is where the teaching and learning is focused primarily on language. Meanwhile, hard CLIL simply means that the teaching is focused primarily on the subject content.
CLIL can be challenging for both subject teachers and language teachers. Subject teachers must learn about the language needed for his/her lessons. Meanwhile, language teachers need to learn more about the subject content.

As for me, I'm looking forward to apply CLIL with my students as I find it an interesting approach to teach English. By using CLIL approach in my classroom, I really hope that my students will enjoy their English Language lesson after this and improve themselves in the English Language subject.


Noor Zahilah Rapal (Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Polytechnic) & Zuraida Dzulkafly (Bachok Vocational College)



No comments:

Post a Comment